Why blogging helps to increase your online presence
What is Blogging?
A blog is a web-based journal which enables you to share your interests, passions, ideas and thoughts on any topics that you care about.
How can blogs bring in business?
Blogs are picked up by Google and other search engines through content, keywords, photos, video and links. Blogs can make a significant difference to your business as they increase your companies online presence, helps your website to rank higher in search engines and shows you are an expert in your field. As more and more people are using the internet to source a service or business its important yours is visible, signifies your expertise and is ranking the top of search engines.
How do I start to write a blog?
- Think about where you want to write your blog, if you do not have a blog on your website, WordPress is a great tool to do this
- Think about what you are comfortable writing about and what might be interesting and relevant to others and write these topics down as a list
- Look at where you can post your blogs. I have listed a few social media sites below however there may be other websites, networking sites that specialise in your field which allow you to post blogs as a guest blogger
- Consider starting a blog related to your business interests. Think about what your readers will find useful and interesting, include tips and valuable resources. You can also blog about industry trends, news and related topics
- Your blog can include a portfolio of your work and experiences
- Blogs should be atleast 400 words if you want them to be picked up by search engines and should include keywords and phrases related to your business, think about what your clients might type into Google to find your services
- You should use video, images, links and design your blog so it is eye catching
- Your blog should always be readable, engaging, and personable
- Show your personality but keep it professional
- Ensure your blog includes your contact information at the bottom
How can I use blogs on social media?
You can add a link to your blog under your contact information, see below instructions on how to do this:
- Select ‘Contact info’ on your profile
- Scroll down to ‘Websites’ and select the pencil button to edit the section
- Under Websites select the drop down and click on ‘Blog’
- Add your blog URL
- Alternatively you can add your RSS Feed
LinkedIn also allows you to add your blogs to your profile for you to be able to share your expertise with your connections. To include your blogs on your profile page follow the below instructions:
- Scroll down to ‘Summary’
- Select ‘Document’
- Copy and paste the link here from your blog on your website
You should also post your blog regularly to your connections with a link back to your website.
You can also use LinkedIn’s article platform called ‘LinkedIn Pulse’ to post your blogs.
Blog content cannot be posted directly onto Twitter as you can only include 140 characters in your tweet. Your link to your blog should first of all be posted either on your LinkedIn account, website (if you have one) or a blogging tool as mentioned above. You can then add this link to your blog in your Twitter feed.
Ensure you use keywords in your tweet for example; #finance #marketing and add the Twitter name of anyone you mention in your blog i.e. @outsourcepaserv. By doing this your tweet will then show up in their streamline on their Twitter page.
If you would like to shorten the URL in your Twitter feed you can use the following tool https://bitly.com. Just paste your URL into the blank field and select shorten. You can then copy the shortened URL and paste into your twitter post. This tool is great as it allows you to have additional space to add text.
Hootsuite & Tweetdeck
Hootsuite & Tweetdeck allow you to post one message across all your social media accounts by the press of a button and comes with a url shortening tool. This saves you time and energy as you are not switching between all of your accounts every time you want to post a blog you have written. It is free to usee for up to 3 social media profiles.
Google+ launched in 2011 and is a social network created by Google. Google + is a highly ranked social networking platform that allows you to share photos, videos and links, which will of course get picked up by Google.
To enhance your online presence create a professional profile and start to add your blogs or any other relevant material.
What is guest blogging?
Guest blogging allows you to write blogs and pass them onto bloggers in your industry who might want to share it with their social networks and readers. This helps you to build your online presence, make new connections and gain new readers. Start by signing up to this website http://myblogguest.com/ which is a web community of guest bloggers.
It is all about building excellent relationships and always being willing to go the extra mile. Do this, and you never know what personal and professional doors may be opened for you.
Quite simply its free exposure and increased traffic to your blog!
Commenting on other blogs
You can also use your expertise and comment on other blogs that are posted on the web. Websites like the Guardian, FT, Telegraph will all have blogs that allow you to leave comments, this is also a great way to increase your online presence. Make sure you use keywords and your comments are meaningful, relevant and informative. Also don’t be afraid to leave a link to your website, blog or LinkedIn page so readers can find you.
- Research websites to start your blog if you do not have a blog on your website, the most popular ones are WordPress, LiveJournal and Blogger
- Blog as an expert about anything relevant to your field
- Make sure your blogs are informative, easy to read and include keywords that are relevant to your industry
- Post a link to your blog on all your social media accounts
- Become a guest blogger and comment on other blogs to increase your online presence as an expert in your field and to build your network
If you need support in setting up your blog, managing your blogs or using social media please contact Outsource PA Services on 01494 261428 or email email@example.com